Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Keep on Chugging

Hola! ¿Qué tal? Life and work here in Sololá are more action-packed than ever. Now that we have become more adjusted in our positions as English teachers, my fellow Program Directors and I are diving headfirst into the process of starting new programs, a process both grueling and rewarding. Last week, we met altogether to devise a list of potential programs to investigate, and we came up with several ideas that not only represent our group’s numerous interests, but also address Chaquijyá’s needs and strengths as expressed by various community members. For example, Karen, Kat, and I all are interested in health. Having researched various health organizations and programs online, the three of us are currently working with local health workers and community leaders to form maternal health, general nutrition, and child sponsorship programs. A former Green Psychology major (you just have to ask her), Dana is working with our partner organization Asoatitlan and other environmental groups to start recycling, composting, and trash disposal projects. Likewise, Jared is looking into water sanitation projects, and Hudson is researching potential microfinance and sports programs.

Some of the Kids at Recess

The more we continue our research and meetings, the more I feel grateful to be working for an organization that encourages its Program Directors to pursue their own particular areas of interest. To be honest, this position has given me the most responsibility that I have ever had in my life, and while that responsibility may be intimidating at times, I know that this experience will be so beneficial both for me and the community.

The Entrance to Chaquijya

Additionally, as each of us pursues projects in various topics, I find it so interesting how the different areas connect. Trash disposal affects water sanitation which affects health, which affects all areas of life like education and business. Sometimes, I almost wonder how we could focus on just one aspect of this chain. I believe that I am finally beginning to understand that community development term that is so often misused: holistic development.

Hard at Work Lesson Planning

An unexpected turn of fate, I am also now spearheading our most time-sensitive programs, a camp for the local children and youths in Chaquijyá, and also an ESL program for the teachers of la Primaria Central. Both programs must be up and running by mid-October, and while these tasks are slightly intimidating, I am so thrilled for the opportunities. Primarily, for me, teaching English to the teachers seems to embody MPI’s emphasis on sustainable development. Not only does the program meet a practical need expressed by the community, but it also builds off of the teachers’ pre-existing assets, teaching skills and experience, so that English classes will continue and remain effective in the future without Manna’s help. How interesting is it to be living and working with a concept that I have studied so much! Also, having spent seven wonderful summers at a sleep-away camp, I could not be more excited to create my own program. Camp provides children with a space in which they can both learn and have fun, and I believe that there is always a place for fun even in dire circumstances, among the explicitly helpful programs, such water sanitation and maternal health. Currently, I am meeting with various community leaders to discuss potential locations for a summer camp program, and also camps that have previously existed in Chaquijyá. Hopefully, I will have much more to write in the coming weeks.

More to come soon about the landslides that have been so destructive in Guatemala. Until then, ¡hasta luego y muchas gracias por su apoyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment