Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reflections from Retreat

As always, time here in Sololá is flying by. Not only have we finished our first English program, but yesterday my group and I also returned from our first Manna retreat. At every MPI site, PD’s must take a group retreat once every quarter to debrief, unwind, and discuss our programs and personal growth throughout the past months. For our first retreat, my group and I decided to visit the city of Quetzaltenango, more commonly known as Xela, which is located about two hours away from Sololá. As one of our group’s Social Chairs, I was in charge of planning the excursion, and I was so pleased with the trip’s success. Not only were we able to reflect on several issues, but we also bonded as a group. Overall, the retreat provided an excellent break between the end of English classes and the beginning of our summer camp which will start this Tuesday.

Leaving on Wednesday morning, my group and I arrived in Xela just in time to settle into our hostel and enjoy some “family time” watching the Yankees/Rangers game with Dana, our resident Yankee’s fanatic. We spent the next three days enjoying a break from our standard diet of beans and tortillas at numerous delicious restaurants, discussing various international development theories, and experiencing cultural sites near Xela. Like most major cities in Guatemala, Xela hosts an interesting mix of Mayan and “Western” culture. Traditionally dressed women sell fruits and handicrafts outside of McDonalds, the large Catholic church possesses a bright yellow façade painted with both Roman saints and jaguars, and the local market is located next to the shopping mall, which by the way has a movie theatre and a food court with both Burger King and Cajun Grill. Altogether, it is very interesting.

For me, my favorite activity was our excursion to the one, the only Parque Acuático Xocomil, Guatemalan’s own famous water park. Striking me as a Guatemalan version of Disneyland, Xocomil boasts replicas of several Mayan ruins and themed rides, and it has become the most popular tourist attraction in Central America. Although I managed, per usual, to make a spectacle of myself screaming my head off on several rides, we all had so much fun at the park and in true tourist fashion, I bought a tee shirt.

Xocomil and its neighboring thrill park Xetulul are run by IRTRA (Guatemalan Private Enterprises Workers’ Recreation Institute), an organization that directs several amusement parks throughout the country. IRT RA employees and their families receive several benefits, including entrance to the parks, and the organization’s revenues profit the overall national economy. Nevertheless, while IRTRA possesses these positive features and I greatly enjoyed my visit to Xocomil, I cannot help but feel conflicted about the park. Every day, Xocomil uses copious amounts sanitized water. However, in the neighboring villages located less than 10 minutes from the park, children frequently become sick and die from parasites they contract from contaminated water. With their replicas of temples and artifacts, Xocomil glorifies Maya history and culture, yet the park does not aid the thousands of Mayas that live in poverty and do not have access to nutritional food or clean water.

This problem extends beyond Xocomil. Indeed, I believe that the global tourist industry fuels innumerable similar contradictions in developing countries. Far too often do we admire Mayan clothing, without admiring the person inside. Too often do we praise the historical accomplishments of a certain culture, and then fail to acknowledge the current struggles and resilience of that culture’s living population. Too often do we hide in resorts and eat the area’s “traditional” meals, while the resort’s cook cannot afford to eat his own culture’s food that he prepares every day.

Overall, I believe that the tourism industry has made a significant positive impact on developing countries’ economies, and therefore should not be written off as evil or destructive. I also believe that attractions like Xocomil provide a space for fun and reflection, both of which have value. Nevertheless, next time I go to Xocomil, or any other resort in a developing country, hopefully I won’t ignore the woman and child selling fruit on the side of the road. I must remember to give thanks for everything I have, and to do what I can for those who struggle.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! Your blog is great, very interesting. I'll have to respond to your e-mail asap. Sorry, I got it during midterms when I wasn't a real person.

    Keep up with the pictures and posting! Miss you here in Nash

    ReplyDelete